Stuffed Sweet Potato with Avocado Drizzle
The perfect blend of nutrition and taste!
Sweet potatoes are a staple in my home. They are high in vitamin B6, fiber and vitamin C. In addition to all the other benefits, Vitamin C produces collagen which helps maintain skin’s youthful elasticity and is also essential to helping us cope with stress.
Sweet potatoes contain iron and are a good source of magnesium which is the relaxation and anti-stress mineral. In addition to the naturally sweet-taste and being a great source of energy, they are one of my to-go food for muscle recovery. They rich orange color indicates that they are high in carotenoids like beta carotene and other carotenoids, which is the precursor to vitamin A in your body. Carotenoids help strengthen our eyesight and are powerful antioxidants that help that protect against the effects of aging and boost our inmune system.
- 5 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup diced onion
- ½ cup diced red pepper
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 2 tsp finely diced fresh jalapeno pepper
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp olive oil
- Avocado Drizzle
- 1 large avocado
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Roast sweet potatoes on a parchment lined cookie tray for 1 hour, or until a fork inserted into the flesh comes out easily. Remove sweet potatoes from oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Carefully sliced sweet potatoes in half. Scoop out flesh and place into a large mixing bowl. Try to leave a thin layer around the skin so that it can stand up on its own. 4.Place skins back onto tray and lightly spritz with olive oil. Return to oven and bake for 8 minutes, allowing the skins to get nice and crispy.
- While the skins are baking, mash up the scooped out sweet potato flesh. Add the black beans, red peppers, onion, jalapeno pepper and spices. Stir to mix until well combined.
- Remove skins from oven after 8 minutes and fill each skin with black bean mixture.
- Bake again for 20-25 minutes, or until filling is heated through and tops are starting to get crispy.
To make avocado drizzle:
Place all ingredients into blender or food processor and mix until smooth and creamy. Add more water if you need to get things moving or if you want a thinner drizzle.Drizzle all over baked Stuffed Sweet Potato Skins.